Perfect for afternoon tea or a picnic, these fabulous cheddar scones are also delicious with a bowl of hearty tomato soup!
- 225g self-raising flour
- 55g chilled butter (cubed)
- 120g Godminster Vintage Organic Cheddar
- 100ml milk
- 1tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180 fan/Gas 6 and place a large baking tray inside
- Sift the flour, salt, cayenne pepper, and baking powder into a large bowl. Mix the ensure the ingredients are well combined
- Add the cubed butter to a bowl and combine with your fingers until you’ve made breadcrumbs
- Add 100g of your grated cheese into the mixture and mix with fingers until well combined
- Make a well in the centre of the mixture. Pour the milk until you have a firm but soft dough. Do not pour all the milk at once as you may not need it to get the ideal dough
- Lightly flour a surface and roll out the dough until it is around 2cm thick. Cut out the scones using a medium biscuit cutter or a glass.
- Place the scones onto a baking sheet and glaze with milk. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the scones and place in the oven
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and leave to cool