500g elbow macaroni
2 tablespoons olive oil or rapeseed oil
1 onion (finely chopped)
1 red pepper (sliced)
250g chorizo (sliced)
1 garlic clove
400g chopped tomatoes
For the béchamel sauce:
50g unsalted butter
50g plain flour
Salt & pepper to season
Dried thyme for sprinkling on top
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, and add a splash of olive oil and a teaspoon of salt, then cook the pasta for approximately 7 minutes, or until al dente.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan (one with a lid), Add the chopped onion and red pepper and cook over medium heat until the onions are golden brown. Add your chorizo slices and cook until slightly brown, taking care to stir.
- Mix in the garlic (be sure that its crushed) and a small handful of salt and gently cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and a dash of black pepper and leave to simmer for 15-30 minutes.
- Preheat your grill to a medium heat.
- For the béchamel sauce: melt the butter in a saucepan, adding the flour and stirring continously for 1 minute. Pour in the milk (whisking whilst you do so) and continue to whisk for 3 minutes or until the sauce starts to thicken. Remove from heat and add both cheeses, take care to mix well. Season to taste.
- Pour the macaroni into a mixing bowl and stir in your béchamel sauce and chorizo mix.
- Transfer your mixture to a baking dish, taking care to spread it evenly. Top with breadcrumbs and a sprinkling of black pepper.
- Grill for 5-10 minutes or until golden brown.