Perfect with a picnic, salad or hearty soup, this take on a bread roll is ideal for sharing with friends.
- 200g Godminster Vintage Organic Cheddar, grated
- 2 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- 140ml lukewarm milk
- 50g unsalted butter, melted
- 7g fast-action dried yeast
- 100g wholemeal flour
- 125g plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp English mustard powder
- Combine the flour, salt, mustard and yeast in a bowl and mix well. Hollow out a well and stir in the milk, butter and eggs to make a dough. Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface then knead for 10 minutes. Leave in a warm place in a bowl covered with a tea towel 1-2 hours to allow the dough to rise.
- Once the dough has risen, knock it back to remove air pockets and return to the floured surface to knead in the Godminster (save a little cheese for the top of the bread). Divide the dough into three and roll each section into a rope shape before plaiting the three together. Cover again with lightly oiled cling film allow it to prove for half an hour before placing in a pre-heated oven at 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6 for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove from the oven and brush with a little milk then sprinkle the remaining Godminster over the plait. Bake for a further quarter of an hour or until the bread turns golden brown on top. Allow to cool completely before serving and then get ready to tear and share!