Perfect with a picnic, salad or hearty soup, this take on a bread roll is ideal for sharing with friends.
· 200g Godminster Vintage Organic Cheddar, grated
· 2 medium free-range eggs, beaten
· 140ml lukewarm milk
· 50g unsalted butter, melted
· 7g fast-action dried yeast
· 100g wholemeal flour
· 125g plain flour
· 1 tsp salt
· ½ tsp English mustard powder
1. Combine the flour, salt, mustard and yeast in a bowl and mix well. Hollow out a well and stir in the milk, butter and eggs to make a dough. Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface then knead for 10 minutes. Leave in a warm place in a bowl covered with a tea towel 1-2 hours to allow the dough to rise.
2. Once the dough has risen, knock it back to remove air pockets and return to the floured surface to knead in the Godminster (save a little cheese for the top of the bread). Divide the dough into three and roll each section into a rope shape before plaiting the three together. Cover again with lightly oiled cling film allow it to prove for half an hour before placing in a pre-heated oven at 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6 for 15 minutes.
3. After 15 minutes, remove from the oven and brush with a little milk then sprinkle the remaining Godminster over the plait. Bake for a further quarter of an hour or until the bread turns golden brown on top. Allow to cool completely before serving and then get ready to tear and share!