500g elbow macaroni
2 tablespoons of olive oil or rapeseed oil
750g red onions, diced
For the béchamel sauce:
50g unsalted butter
50g plain flour
200g Godminster Oak Smoked Vintage Organic Cheddar
100g Godminster Vintage Organic Cheddar
Salt and pepper to season
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, and add a splash of olive oil and a teaspoon of salt, then cook the pasta for approximately 7 minutes, or until al dente.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan, add the onions and fry on a high heat until brown and caramelised.
- Preheat your grill to a medium heat.
- For the béchamel sauce: melt the butter in a saucepan, adding the flour and stirring continously for 1 minute. Pour in the milk (whisking whilst you do so) and continue to whisk for 3 minutes or until the sauce starts to thicken. Remove from heat and add both cheeses, take care to mix well. Season to taste.
- Pour the macaroni into a mixing bowl and stir in your béchamel sauce and onions.
- Transfer your mixture to a baking dish, taking care to spread it evenly. Top with breadcrumbs and a sprinkling of black pepper.
- Grill for 5-10 minutes or until golden brown.