Created and photographed by Chef Steve James this simple but classic recipe using the new Godminster Mature Organic Cheddar with Black Pepper is a taste sensation and perfect for any pizza lover!
Give it a try and let us know how you get on! firstname.lastname@example.org
For the dough (Makes 2 large pizzas) :
- 400g strong white flour
- 2x 7g sachets fast action yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 300ml warm water
- 30ml olive oil
For the sauce:
- 250g mascarpone cheese
- 100g grated Godminster Mature Organic Cheddar with Black Pepper
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1.5tsp cornflour
For the toppings:
- 3 leeks, sliced into 1cm circles
- 2tbsp rapeseed oil
- 300g spinach
- A handful of sage leaves
- 100g Godminster Mature Organic Cheddar with Black Pepper, grated
For the dough:
- Sieve the flour into a large bowl.
- Add the yeast and sugar to one side of the bowl and the salt to the other.
- Add the water and oil and stir with your hands to bring them together, it will seem sticky but it will come together.
- Tip onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes, really stretching the dough to make a lovely soft bread dough.
- Place into an oiled bowl, cover, and leave for about 1 hour in a warm place until doubled in size.
For the toppings and sauce:
- Whilst your dough is proving you can get on with preparing your sauce and toppings.
- For the sauce, add the mascarpone, Godminster Black Pepper Mature Organic Cheddar, lemon zest, and garlic, place over a medium heat and bring it just to the boil, stirring constantly, turn down the heat to low.
- Place the cornflour into a bowl, add a splash of water (a couple of tablespoons), and stir together.
- Add to the mascarpone mix and quickly stir it in. cook until the sauce has thickened, this takes a couple of minutes, season with salt and then place to one side to cool.
- Place the leeks in a frying pan over a medium heat with one tablespoon of oil. Fry until softened and just starting to colour.
- Place the spinach into a bowl, it may look like a lot but it will shrink a lot! Pour over a freshly boiled kettle of water and stir until it has all wilted, drain, leave to steam dry and cool. When cool enough squeeze out any excess water.
- Toss the sage leaves with the remaining tablespoon of oil
To assemble and cook:
- Preheat your oven to the highest it will go, preferably over 220c.
- Place your pizza stone in the oven, or baking tray
- Roll your dough out until 0.5cm thick, I like to use my fingers to press the dough out so you have a slightly thicker edge.
- If using a baking tray place your dough onto some parchment now.
- Add a few tablespoons of sauce then top with your fried leeks, some of the spinach and then sprinkle with the grated Godminster Mature Organic Cheddar with Black Pepper.
- Scatter over the sage leaves.
- Transfer the pizza to your pizza stone, or on the baking parchment onto your baking trays and cook for 10-12minutes until puffy and golden.