This versatile dish is a twist on a retro classic bringing it to the 21st century courtesy of Chef Steve James
A show-stopper of a recipe perfect for many occasions.
- 1 small sourdough, top cut off and insides removed leaving a 1cm crust
- 300ml dry white wine
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 300g Godminster Mature Organic Cheddar with Black Pepper, grated
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 3 tbsp vodka (we used Liberty fields vodka)
- Your choice of dippers – the insides of the sourdough cubed, radish, gerkins, peppers, carrots, crackers, nuts, grapes, roast potatoes, or anything else that takes your fancy.
- In a saucepan add the wine and the minced garlic. Bring to the boil and reduce by half.
- Turn the heat down to medium.
- Gradually stir in the cheese a little at a time, making sure the cheese has melted before adding more.
- Mix the cornflour and vodka together to make a slurry.
- Add to the cheese mixture and stir quickly to combine.
- Bring back to simmer and cook for 1-2 minutes until thickened and the flour has cooked out.
- Pour into the bread bowl and replace the lid to keep warm.
- Serve with your choice of dippers.