This is a very simple recipe but with incredibly delicious results, you can change this recipe to use any of the Godminster range of cheeses but the Daredevil Chilli Vintage Organic Cheddar is our favourite for this recipe and gives a nice kick. Recipe courtesy of the very talented Chef Steve James.
Makes 10-12 depending on the size of your tin/cases
- 1 large red onion, finely diced
- 300g self-raising flour
- 1tsp salt
- 1tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 150g Godminster Daredevil Chilli Vintage Organic Cheddar (plus extra for grating over the top)
- 3 medium eggs
- 250ml whole milk
- 100ml rapeseed oil + 1tbsp to fry the onion
- We used small dariole moulds for these muffins which gives them a lovely tall appearance but you can use regular muffin cases in a tin. If using dariole moulds grease with butter and line with baking parchment and place onto a baking tray.
- Preheat your oven to 180c (fan)
- Fry the onion in the tbsp. of oil until soft and just starting to colour. Leave to cool.
- Sieve the flour into a large bowl. Dice the cheese into small cubes and add to the bowl with the cooled onion, salt and pepper. Give it a good stir and put it to one side.
- Separately mix together the milk, oil and eggs.
- Pour your wet ingredients into the dry and mix until fully combined and the only lumps left are from the cheese.
- Divide equally between your cases/tins until it comes to about three-quarters of the way up.
- Grate over some extra cheese and then place into the oven for approximately 15 minutes until puffy, golden and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Equally delicious served warm or cold.