Godminster Cheddar seeded buns
- 100g Godminster Vintage Organic Cheddar, cut into 1cm cubes
- 450g strong white flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fast-action dried yeast
- 360ml warm water
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- Seed/nut selection of your choice (sesame, pumpkin, poppy, walnut)
- Stir the flour, salt and yeast together in a large bowl, then make a well in the middle.
- Pour the oil into 360ml of warm water, then tip this into the well and quickly stir together. Leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured surface. Knead, folding it over itself repeatedly using gentle pressure, for five minutes, or until it is smooth and springs back when pressed lightly.
- Shape into a ball by bringing the edges to the middle then turn out into a large oiled bowl, smooth side up. Cover loosely with a cloth and leave in a warm place for an hour, or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, cover a large baking tray with greaseproof paper. When ready, scoop the dough onto a lightly floured surface, dust with a little flour, then knead briefly.
- Pull the dough into 16 even-sized pieces. Place one cube of cheese onto each piece of dough and fold it over until the cheese lies in the centre, then shape into rounds.
- Place onto the floured baking tray, well-spaced apart, then leave for 30 minutes covered, or until increased in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6.
- Once risen, brush the buns lightly with the beaten egg and sprinkle your choice of seeds/nuts over each bun.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until golden, risen and round.