For the meat filling:
500g of best beef steak mince
2 tbsp of mustard powder
1 tsp of cayenne pepper
1 tbsp of onion powder
1 tbsp of dried garlic powder
2 tsp Maldon salt
1 tsp cracked black pepper
For the Juicy Lucy filling:
500ml full fat milk
10 tbsp plain flour
80g salted butter
300g grated Godminster Vintage Organic cheddar
3 good shakes of Worcestershire sauce
5 good shakes of tabasco sauce
Maldon sea salt
Cracked black pepper
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
Method - Meat filling
We always use best beef mince from the butcher for our burgers, and you want to have a good amount of fat in the mince to keep it moist! Then we mix in to the beef a dry mix of ingredients to keep the texture of the beef the same.
Method - Juicy Lucy filling
For this filling you need to make a very thick, flavour-some cheese sauce:
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan, adding the tabasco, worcestershire sauce and seasoning to taste.
- Add the butter in another saucepan and cook on a medium heat till melted, then add the plain flour to create and roux. Cook this mixture for 30 seconds and then start adding the hot milk slowly, whisking the whole time.
- When the sauce starts to become smooth and glossy then add the Godminster cheddar and check the seasoning again, adding more to taste.
- Then pour the very thick cheese sauce into a baking tray and allow to completely cool, then chill in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- When you are ready to make your burgers, scoop out a large heaped tablespoon of cheese sauce. Then using your hands roll it into a ball.
- Then pat out the beef into flat circle and wrap it around the cheese sauce ball.
- Carefully form the beef into a burger shape ensuring that the chilled cheese sauce is properly surrounded by the beef with no gaps (otherwise the cheese will leak out when you cook your burger!
- Then all that's left, is to pan fry your patty and decide what else to put in your burger bun (we've put some of our suggestions below)
- Smoked dry cured pancetta
- Crispy baby gem lettuce
- Dill pickles
- Harissa spiked mayo