One of the biggest trends in wedding cakes this year sees the delicate flavours of elderflower and lemon paired together to make a cake perfect for a grand occasion, and also delicious as a favourite for afternoon tea.
- 3 tbsp Godminster Elderflower Vodka Spirit
- 120g unsalted butter, softened
- 180g caster sugar
- 180g self-raising flour
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbsp milk
- Zest of 1 lemon (and some to decorate)
- Pinch of salt
For the icing:
- 100g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp Godminster Elderflower Vodka Spirit
- 2 tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to180°C/gas mark 4 and prepare a 1kg loaf tin by greasing or lining with baking paper.
- Cream together the butter and sugar with a wooden spoon for about 4-5 minutes until it is light and fluffy. Add the eggs and lemon zest and beat together.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients (flour and salt) and stir until the mixture has combined well, and then add the milk and vodka before mixing together.
- Scoop the mixture into the loaf tin and bake for 45-50 minutes, until the cake is golden brown on top.
- Mix together the icing sugar with the elderflower vodka and water to form a runny icing. Drizzle over the cake and sprinkle the lemon zest on top. Serve once the cake has cooled completely.