One of the biggest trends in wedding cakes this year sees the delicate flavours of elderflower and lemon paired together to make a cake perfect for a grand occasion, and also delicious as a favourite for afternoon tea.
1. Preheat the oven to180°C/gas mark 4 and prepare a 1kg loaf tin by greasing or lining with baking paper.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar with a wooden spoon for about 4-5 minutes until it is light and fluffy. Add the eggs and lemon zest and beat together.
3. Add the remaining dry ingredients (flour and salt) and stir until the mixture has combined well, and then add the milk and vodka before mixing together.
4. Scoop the mixture into the loaf tin and bake for 45-50 minutes, until the cake is golden brown on top.
5. Mix together the icing sugar with the elderflower vodka and water to form a runny icing. Drizzle over the cake and sprinkle the lemon zest on top. Serve once the cake has cooled completely.