This amazing recipe came courtesy of the Taste Of The West Recipe Book 2019 published by We Make Magazines. The creator of this fabulous dish is Franck Favereaux, Head Chef of the Otterton Mill, Otteron, Devon.
- 50g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 50g plain flour
- 300ml milk
- 5 eggs
- 2 tsp English mustard
- 150g Godminster Vintage Organic Cheddar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- Generously butter four ramekins.
- Melt the butter in a pan and stir in the flour, then cook for one minute.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring continuously until the mixture becomes thick. Allow too cool slightly.
- Separate the eggs, adding the yolks to the sauce.
- Mix well, then add the mustard and cheese.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff, then fold gently into the cheese mixture.
- Spoon into the ramekins and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until risen and golden.
Chef’s tip: Run a knife around the top of the ramekin before placing it in the oven.