- 2 tsp oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 sticks of celery, diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 800g pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled and chopped small
- 800ml vegetable stock
- 4 traditional beetroot (cooked beetroot dipped in vinegar), roughly chopped
- 4 slices of bread
- 4 slices Godminster Vintage Organic Cheddar
- In a large saucepan heat the oil over a low-medium heat and cook the onion, celery and garlic with the lid on, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes until they are soft.
- Sprinkle in the nutmeg and cinnamon then add the butternut squash and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes, add the beetroot and continue to cook for another 5 minutes until everything is soft.
- Allow the soup to cool a little then blend until smooth, add some extra stock if it’s too thick. Season well and reheat when ready to serve.
- Toast the bread, butter if desired, then, under a hot grill melt the Godminster Vintage Organic Cheddar on top until bubbling and browning at the edges. Cut the toast into soldiers and serve with the hot soup.