Looking for cheese for your wedding reception? The Godminster Feast Cheese Cake is a mouth-watering selection of British cheeses that have been hand-selected to make the perfect cheese tower for up to 70 people with over 5.5kg of cheese. As cheese experts, we have curated what we believe is a fantastic tiered cheese centrepiece that will cater for your special occasion at just under £2.50 per guest (based on 70 guests).
Our Godminster Feast Cheese Cake features the following (from base to top):
- 2kg of Colston Bassett Stilton (base layer) – (Height 6cm x Diameter 21cm)
- 1.5kg Cornish Yarg – (Height 7cm x Diameter 17.5cm)
- 1kg Howling Hound Black Truffle Organic Vintage Cheddar – (Height 5cm x Diameter 15.5cm)
- 400g Vintage Bruton Beauty Organic Cheddar – (Height 5cm x Diameter 10.5cm)
- 200g Ismay (Dorset soft cheese) – (Height 4cm x Diameter 9.5cm)
- 200g Cheyney’s Fortune Oak-Smoked Organic Vintage Cheddar – (Height 4.5cm x Diameter 9.5cm)
- 200g Vintage Bruton Beauty Organic Cheddar – Heart (top layer) – (Height 4.5cm x Diameter 8.5cm)
Please note: Throughout the year it may be difficult to source particular cheeses that are being made by our small artisan cheesemaking friends as they are speciality products. We will try wherever possible to make sure that a suitable replacement is featured of similar weight and value. We apologise should this happen.
If your cheese cake is being displayed in a tent, marquee, conservatory or any other warm environment please ensure it is refrigerated as much as possible before displaying. We recommend using cake boards and cake dowels to keep your tower in good condition for longer periods of time.
Godminster Wedding Cheese Cake Delivery
- We send our cheese cakes out using a premium, express, tracked and timed courier service that gives you an hour’s window in which your cake will be delivered
- As with all our Godminster wedding cheese cakes, please place your order with us at least 2 weeks in advance
- When checking out, please select a delivery day at least 3 working days before your event as our couriers may sometimes have unexpected delays
- We cannot provide a refund if your venue doesn’t accept outside catering so please double check this before ordering to avoid disappointment
- Having someone available to sign and refrigerate the cake on delivery is essential – our couriers will not be able to pass on any storage advice or leave it unattended unless arranged between the customer and the courier directly
- Please liaise with your venue to check if it will accept deliveries as our couriers will not be able to do this
- Please double check your email address as this will be the contact email for any delivery notifications on the day
- The cheese wheel cake will be delivered in an insulated box. Assembly is easy and can be done in minutes – simply stack one cheese on top of the other. Remember to use dowelling and cake boards if needed.
Catering for more guests? Explore our range of wedding cheese cakes, such as our larger Godminster Banquet Cheese Cake or why not add extra cases of Vintage Organic Cheddars to place around your cake! You can also order chutney and a range of gourmet artisan crackers to go with your tiered cheese cake to complete your buffet.
Cheese cake FAQs
How to make a cheese wedding cake
A wedding cheese wheel cake is the perfect table top display for your special day. It’s important to have various cheeses in your tiered cheese cake with different flavours and textures to suit all of your guest’s palettes. Here at Godminster, we’ll source the best quality cheeses for you – saving you the hard work! Our tiered cheese cakes are easy to assemble, and you’re free to decorate them as you wish so that they fit in with your wedding’s theme.
How to decorate a cheese wedding cake
You might be wondering how to decorate your cheese cake. Here are a few tips to help you create your perfect tiered cheese cake:
- Consider your wedding’s theme and style – cheese for a wedding reception can really add a unique stamp on your day and tie in with your wedding’s style. For example, if your wedding is in a more simplistic setting, you could incorporate raffia into your cheese cake for a rustic effect.
- If you’d like to use flowers, consider their colours and ensure that they are non-toxic. Popular choices of flowers for wedding cakes include roses, primroses, violets, hibiscus, daisies, lavender, pansies and chrysanthemums – but there are many more options to choose from so make sure you do your research!
- Choose seasonal decorations – you could try to match your wedding cake with the season of your special day. For example, berries are perfect for summer months and nuts and plums are great for colder months.
How much cheese per person at a wedding
70g to 100g of cheese should be enough for each person at a wedding. That said, it’s worth noting that not everyone will want to have the same sized cheese plate as others (for example, young or elderly wedding guests may want smaller portions).
How long does a wheel of cheese last?
Our cheese wheel cake is made up of a variety of delicious British cheeses so if you have any cheese leftover, they may have different best before dates. Here at Godminster, we guarantee at least 30 days of life for our Vintage Organic Cheddar cheese products and at least 20 days for our oak-smoked and black truffle cheddars.
How to cut a wheel of cheese
You can cut and eat a cheese wheel cake in a similar way to how you’d cut a traditional wedding cake.
Why is cheese made in wheels?
Cheese wheels (also known as a truckle of cheese) are made to be round for a number of reasons, including:
- Rounded cheeses age more evenly and develop more even rinds.
- Many cheeses need to ripen before being ready to consume. As this ripening process happens, surface flora will spread across the cheese and typically break down the edges of cheese – cheese wheels don’t have edges to break down.
- Their rounded shape is more robust than squares or rectangles.
- Many cheeses may have been made into wheels for easier handling (i.e. they can simply be rolled around).
What to consider when choosing the right cheese for your wedding reception
Not sure how to choose the best-tiered cheese wedding cake for your special day? Here are some things for you to consider before your make your decision:
- How many guests do you need to cater for? 70g-100g of cheese should be enough for each guest. Remember, not everyone will want to eat the same amount of cheese (i.e. children can be served smaller portions).
- What’s your budget? Your budget will inevitably impact your decision. We sell a range of tiered cheese wedding cakes to cater to all budgets.
- What types of cheeses do you like? It’s important that you choose a tiered cheese wedding cake that you’ll enjoy along with your guests. For this reason, it’s a good idea to opt for a cheese wheel cake that includes a variety of cheeses.
- What’s the style of your wedding? You should try to select a cheese wheel cake that will suit the style of your wedding or one that can be decorated to complement your decor.
For more answers to our cheese products, head to our FAQs page or feel free to get in touch – we’d love to hear from you!